Friday, February 7, 2014

003. "Sweet Baby Charlotte" Baby Shower

Bring on the baby!
My sister, Jamie and her fiance, Josh are on the verge of giving birth to their first child and my third niece, Charlotte! Recently, my mom, my sister Natalie and I threw them a baby shower at my parent's house.

We wanted to do this as cost effective as humanly possible. Therefore, that meant that we had a lot of DIY projects on the horizon. The theme my sister decided on was "Sweet Baby Charlotte." Imagine candy, brownies, cookies, cake, cupcakes, and other cavity inducing sweets. 

The first thing Jamie and I did was head to the 99 cent store (and I was skeptical) to find supplies. Luckily we found a plethera of decorations, cups, plates, candy, containers, etc all for a dollar. The end result did not look like it was done on a budget (if I do say so myself).

The largest and most expensive display was creating the candy table for "Charlotte's Sweet Shop." Let me be clear, when I say expensive, it's relative to the cost of the rest of the items. In reality, I feel that this was created at a reasonable cost.
 



I really love how the table turned out! I made the banner using burlap, twine and pink acrylic paint. When I have made banners in the past, I hand stitched the burlap to the twine. Due to time constraints, I used super-glue and it worked great. My mom used yellow and white polka dot fabric to create part of the tablecloth. She gathered it at two points and stitched a bow to hold it it place. The yellow and white polka dot fabric was also used for the "back-drop" by wrapping poster board.
 
We used glass vases (that we already had) and filled them with candy corn, jelly beans, m&ms, sweet tarts, and pixie stix. The striped candy bags, scoops, the glass jars with lids and gumballs were all under $1!

So much caaaaandy.
Glass jars were each a dollar = $5 centerpieces.
We filled glass vases (that we already had) with candy corn, jelly beans, m&ms, sweet tarts, and pixie stix. The striped candy bags, scoops, the glass jars with lids and gumballs were all under $1. 

A few nights before the shower, Jamie thought of creating a photo booth. I followed this tutorial on how to make a simple and colorful backdrop. Then, we used card-stock and wooden skewers to create the props. It was many hours of work, but well worth it.
I'd say it was a success. 
Jamie and I.



4 comments:

  1. I love this! Can you plan my baby shower in like 10 years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for all your help in planning my baby shower! It was such an amazing day <3

    ReplyDelete