Monday, August 4, 2014

011. Backyard Camp-out

This past Friday night, I had my 2 oldest nieces over for a backyard camp-out. Overall, I would say it was a success. My sister dropped the girls off with their little suitcases and a container of plastic animals (Sadie). When we finally got to our backyard, James was there to help us set up the tent. As soon as it was somewhat assembled, they both jumped in. I then snapped the only 2 photos I took that night. I wish I would have had my camera ready, but it forced me to stay present with them, rather than taking a hundred photos.

We made s'mores over the fire, played hide-and-seek (which was really fun), chased Henry around, sat on James' dirt bike (Mabie was obsessed and did not want to get off), colored, read books, watched a movie in the air-conditioned house, and then headed to bed. Sleeping on an air mattress with 2 children is not the best night's sleep I have ever had, but fun nonetheless.

Mabie was excited. Notice Henry is the background.
Sadie pulling the sleeping bag in and Henry relaxing in the grass.
I really enjoyed Friday with James and the girls. They are extremely funny and sweet and had us laughing most of their visit. I love to watch James interact with the girls. During hide-and-seek, James instructed them to hide in the most random spots. Mabie ran to hide in the tent and I could hear her zip open the door and Sadie went under the tent. When I found Mabie she couldn't contain her excitement that her sister was underneath her hiding spot. If I wouldn't have heard Sadie, Mabie's fixation on the lump under the tent would have given away her sister's location. James then helped them hide on top of the washer. When I opened the door, they were both pleased with their creative hiding spot.

Later, we decided to give Henry a bath after noticing a couple of fleas (damn you summer)! Sadie, the animal lover, joined me. Throughout the entire process she kept petting him and in her most reassuring voice saying, "It's okay buddy. You're doing a good job. It's okay boy." So sweet! I know I say it a lot and even write about it, but I absolutely love being an aunt.

I was able to be in the moment with Sadie and Mabie. I tend to be a worrier and forget to be present. You cannot do that with a 6 and 3 year old in your care. Children want your time and attention, which reminds me of a quote a saw a few weeks ago, "Your children need your presence more than your presents." 

Memories are more valuable than stuff.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you all had an amazing time! I'm glad that spending time with your nieces also served as a good exercise in being present.

    Also, poor Henry! :(

    -Helen

    ReplyDelete