Monday, July 28, 2014

010. Clear Intentions and Changes

It's strange how if you really want something in your life and you are clear about your intentions, you can create it. At least that's been my experience. Of course you can't sit idly by and wait for things to happen. You must take action and I have.

My sweet niece with a painting I made for her.
I opened an Etsy shop about a year ago. You can read more about that here. I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator, but only when it directly affects me, (choosing a major, graduating college, applying for jobs, setting goals, exercising, writing, etcetera). On the other hand, if anyone else needs something from me, I will jump through hoops to finish the task. I am aware that it's important to take care of me and I'm working on it.

Anyway, last week something awesome happened...I sold 5 paintings in 7 days. That is the most I have sold within that amount of time. People were actually buying my creations! I suddenly felt motivated and created each order as they came in and rushed to the post office. Customers were waiting on me, so I felt motivated. I told Jamie about the recent orders and she was ecstatic. My sister has been a huge supporter of me tapping into my creativity, along with my partner James. Jamie informed me that one of my paintings has been pinned (Pinterest) more than 400 times. I mean, that's pretty amazing.

The timing of these sales is perfect. I recently accepted a part-time position at the domestic violence agency I work for. The position is educating teens about intimate partner violence, healthy relationships, communication skills, media literacy and more. It is definitely something I have wanted to do for a long time as a paid employee, rather than a volunteer. Taking the position is really scary, because as of mid-September my hours will be cut in half. I instantly wondered how I was going to supplement my income. I called James to talk it out, I talked to friends and family members. I know that I want to sell my paintings and refinished furniture (with James teaching me how to and working with me), but I don't know if this will be enough to keep me financially secure. It's also really against everything I have grown up seeing and expecting for my life (working a 9-5, Monday through Friday job). Either way, I set the intention that this is what I want for my life.

I purchased this to refinish it...but it hasn't happened yet. Damn you procrastination.
I am going to continue the momentum I have and continue to work towards being a successful Etsy shop owner and see where this journey leads me. I trust that it will work out.  The reality of working 20 hours per week, will free up a lot of time for me to focus on being creative and not procrastinating. Also, I have time to find other ways to supplement my income.

2 comments: